Allegany Area Historical Association

The Association was established during the community's Sesquicentennial celebration of 1981 for the purpose of collecting materials and artifacts pertaining to the history and development of the Allegany area. The Education Department of the University of the State of New York granted an Absolute Charter on December 10, 1987.

Click Here to see 0ur Facebo0k Page

Historical Association News Letters

Click for membership application (pdf)

The Heritage Center is now closed on Wednesdays through next Spring, 2018. For any inquiries, please email us at AlleganyHeritageCenter@gmail.com or contact us through our Facebook page

Current officers of the Association:

    • President: Francie Potter
    • Vice President: Kathy Premo
    • Secretary: Marilyn Frisina
    • Treasurer: Sue Schreiber Kalman
    • Corresponding Secretary: Eileen Shabala
    • Trustees: Alice Altenburg, Jim Hitchcock, Marge Geise, Margaret Parker, Charlene Sendlakowski and Tom Stetz.

Location

The Association's permanent meeting site and shelter for historical artifacts is in the former United Methodist Church located at 25 N. Second Street in the village of Allegany. The church, a local historical landmark, was constructed in 1855 by the Methodist Episcopal Congregation, one of the earliest religious societies in the village. The Association now owns the building. The layout of the church has been preserved, including the original pews and pulpit.

Meetings & Events

Sunday, May 20 at 2 PM

Della Moore, Executive Director of the African American Center for Cultural Development will give a talk about the Underground Railroad in Olean and Cattaraugus County.

Della has done extensive research on the Underground Railroad in this area, and has worked up a brochure for a self-guided walking tour of the Underground Railroad and African American history in Olean. She will have copies available at the meeting.

She will also bring us up to date on the efforts to establish a new home for the African American Center in the former Christian Science building at East State and Barry Street.

Meetings are held at the Heritage Center, 25 North Second Street.

Research Materials

NEW LINK - See Allegany Citizen Newspaper Articles from 1896 to 1976 (Click below)

Allegany Citizen Digital Archive Link

Tales of War and Confinement from World War II is a book containing letters from Richard (Richie) Boser and Clemens (Clem) Martiny written to the editor of the Allegany Citizen during the Second World War. Mr. Boser served in the European theater of action, and Mr. Martiny was with the Seabees in the South Pacific. Their letters were researched as an Eagle Scout project by Amit Patel of Allegany. The book also has a letter written by N.V.V.F. (Van) Munson detailing his experiences as a German prisoner of war. This book sells for $6.00, plus $3.00 shipping and handling.

A third printing has been done of Our Allegany Heritage, 1831-1981 , our orginal book about the history of Allegany, New York. This soft cover edition sells for $10.00, plus $2.50 shipping and handling.

Either book can be obtained from: The Allegany Area Historical Association, PO Box 162, Allegany, New York 14706. Checks should be made to A.A.H.A.. Expect 2 weeks for delivery.

How to contact AAHA

For further information write to:
Allegany Area Historical Association
P.O. Box 162
Allegany, NY 14706
OR
Click here to E-mail Us

Related Links

The application form is in Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF) format. A free copy of Acrobat Reader may be downloaded by clicking on the following image:

Get Acrobat Reader