The Department of Public Works Superintendent oversees the operations at the Street Department and is assisted by the Working Supervisor. The Street Department maintains 7.15 miles of roads throughout the village.
Maintaining roadway surfaces by:
- Sweeping them with the street sweeper
- Repairing pot holes
- Filling cracks with a hot tar
- Periodically resurfacing roadways
- Replacing crosswalks lines when needed
- Plowing snow off of streets and sidewalks
- Placing Salt and Sand on roadway surface to help remove ice & snow
Other Maintenance Responsibilities
- Maintaining traffic and street signs
- Maintaining village owned buildings and properties
- Maintaining storm sewers along streets
- Spring and Fall Yard Waste Collection
Some Projects planned for the 2016-2017 budget year are:
- Grind out pot hole areas and replace with blacktop and crack fill roads throughout village.
- Normal Storm Sewer Repair and/or Replacement throughout Village
- Repair and/or add storm sewer catch basins and/or dry wells in the areas of St Mary's, St Joe's, and St John's
- Dig up and fix grade for proper drainage on side of roadways in the areas of St Mary's, St Joe's, and St John's
- Add storm sewer catch basins and dry well on the end of Upland Terrace.
- Dig up and widen the side of roadways on North First in village between Pine Street and Elm Street.
- Repair and resurface the following roads:
- St Mary's
- St John's
- St. Joe's
- Circle Oak
- Pierce Drive
- North Third Street
- Maple Avenue
SPRING AND FALL YARD WASTE PICK UP
Department of Public Works Employees pick up yard waste left out to the curb in the Spring and in the Fall.
Note To All Residents: The Village of Allegany provides a service to help residents with picking up yard waste that is being removed from their property. The Summer and Fall Yard Waste Pick Up Program is not provided for residents to remove large trees, tree trunks and/or large branches from their properties. In fairness to all residents anyone wishing to remove trees and/or several large branches from their property should hire a contactor for same as Large Trees and/or Branches will not be picked up by the DPW Staff.
- Usually begins towards the middle of April or beginning of May.
- Leaves, brush, weeds etc. are picked up at various times during the week. Residents are asked to place items on the street side of the curb. NO GRASS CLIPPINGS!! (Grass Clippings clog up street storm sewers and should be taken to the Cattaraugus County Transfer Station located on West Union Street) Brush and/or tree branches shall be no longer than 4 feet in length.
Spring yard waste pick-up will begin TBD. Leaves, weeds and other yard waste may be left near the side of the road for pick-up. Remember, do not bag leaves that are to be picked up!
The final day for spring yard waste pick-up will be TBD. Residents are reminded to take summer yard waste to the Transfer Station located on Union Street until the fall yard waste pick-up resumes.
- Residents shall not to place yard waste out to the roadway during the summer months as routine trips through the village are not made and public works employees use this time to keep roadways swept, resurface roadways and conduct other necessary work to maintain village facilities and properties.
- Begins towards the beginning of October.
- Begins towards the beginning of October when leaves start falling and continues until the leaves on trees have all fallen (last day of pick-up will be noted below). Leaves, brush, tree limbs, weeds etc. are picked up at various times during the week. Residents are asked to place items on the street side of the curb. NO GRASS CLIPPINGS!! (Grass Clippings clog up street storm sewers and should be taken to the Cattaraugus County Transfer Station located on West Union Street) Do not place leaves in plastic bags. NOTE: Leaves and weeds should be placed separate from other yard waste - Brush and/or tree branches shall be no longer than 4 feet in length.
Fall yard waste pick-up will begin Monday, October 3rd. Leaves, weeds and other yard waste may be left near the side of the road for pick-up. Remember, do not bag leaves that are to be picked up!
The final day for fall leaf pick-up will be November 25th. Residents are reminded to take seasonal yard waste and grass clippings to the Transfer Station located on Union Street until the spring yard waste pick-up resumes.
Christmas Tree Pick-up
Christmas Tree pick-up will begin Tuesday December 27th.
- Christmas Trees that are put out in the subway areas of residences will be picked up by DPW Personnel. Residents are reminded that it is required to remove tree bags designed to get trees out of houses! Bagged trees may not be picked up.)
The final day for Christmas Tree pick-up will be TBD.
Information will be added in near future.
Information will be added in near future.